Monday 18 September 2017

Wooden Knots by Katie Gong

I spent a big chunk of this weekend digging into some fascinating (and also terrifying) research about Instagram and how difficult it is to make traction there as a small business these days. While I spiraled deeper and deeper into a hole lamenting the days before “the algorithm,” I found myself also following little paths here and there on different artists’ pages. So what began as research into one of the less fun parts of Instagram became a reminder of the parts I love so much: discovering great artists and designers.

I spent at least a half hour in awe of Katie Gong‘s wooden sculptures that look like giant twisted pieces of twine or twist-tie, but are made entirely of beautiful wood. After steaming each piece of raffia for hours, Katie ties them into giant knots in a matter of seconds. The result is a piece that feels remarkably kinetic and full of life. I couldn’t stop staring at them and looking for more pictures online, so I thought I’d share some of my favorites here today. Click here to check them out on Instagram and here to check them out in Katie’s shop. –Grace

*Katie also has a show going on at Rare Device right now in San Francisco if you’re in town!



from Design*Sponge http://www.designsponge.com/2017/09/wooden-knots-by-katie-gong.html

from Home Improvment http://notelocreesnitu.tumblr.com/post/165476045899

No comments:

Post a Comment