Monday 29 January 2018

D*S Team Tours: Quelcy’s Eclectic Pittsburgh Apartment

D*S Team Tours: Quelcy's Eclectic Pittsburgh Apartment via Design*Sponge

For more than a decade, I, Quelcy, have been a loyal Design*Sponge reader. For more than a year and a half, I’ve been on the other side — a contributor. I’ve been inviting myself into people’s homes, both physically and figuratively, to bring you the stories and spaces that inspire many a Pinterest board, your dream homes, and your very real renovations. It is about time I return the hospitality. Today, I invite you into my home, so come on in!

Dubbed a “handyman special” by the local developers who own my building, the apartment has its fair share of quirks, but it checked off several items on my wish list: cheap rent, tall ceilings, architectural character, and lots of natural light for photographing recipes for my food blog, With The Grains. Above all, the “handyman special” granted me permission to do whatever I wanted to the space (as long as I didn’t hack into its structural integrity), so I promptly signed that lease.

I piled all my belongings into a corner, and I got to work. I ripped up carpet, cleaned the deathly-looking ash and cat smells that lurked below said carpet, painted EVERYTHING, possibly [probably] inhaled lead paint and made this place feel like my own. For nearly nine years, this place has ebbed and flowed with me, from a job I hated, to a layoff, to a major leap into self-employment as a food & prop stylist, photographer, blogger and event designer.

I’ve celebrated heartbreaks and immense milestones here, but what really made this labor of love feel the most like my home was filling it with fur and dirt. First came my most diligent kitchen assistant, Julep, then came a farmer. As luck would have it, I met Kyle, an organic farmer/graphic designer/pet portraitist at Lili Cafe, our neighboring coffee shop (another perk of my location). I felt a whirl of butterflies and admiration, and before long, he too became a member of this home.

This old building we call home feels like its days are numbered. The neighborhood has changed so drastically around us, Pittsburgh housing prices have soared, and I fear this building will soon sell beneath us. In the meantime, I’m so grateful for this home. It’s a cozy, cost-effective space that has enabled us to take creative career risks. The seams are usually bursting with produce, beekeeping equipment and a fair bit of dirt amongst the props and backdrops, but this space is hugely personal. It reflects my story, so I’m thankful you stopped by to visit. —Quelcy

Photography by Dave Bryce

Image above: Kyle’s foraged stinging nettle (an antidote to allergies when made into tea) and curing garlic mix with my collection of vintage props in our entry. I lean very rustic — if I’m not risking tetanus, I’m usually not interested. We both consider Julep, our Aussie-Lab mix, to be our muse in all our endeavors. 



from Design*Sponge http://www.designsponge.com/2018/01/ds-team-tours-quelcys-eclectic-pittsburgh-apartment.html

from Home Improvment http://notelocreesnitu.tumblr.com/post/170267655364

No comments:

Post a Comment