Friday 20 April 2018

Get It Together! with Orlando Soria + Best of the Web

Sometimes when I get a book in the mail I can just feel that it’s going to be good. That’s exactly how I felt when I saw a package marked “From Orlando” on my doorstep. From the second I saw Orlando Soria’s giant grin (poking out from behind a doorway) on the cover of his new book, I knew it was going to be a fun read.

Get It Together!: An Interior Designer’s Guide to Creating Your Best Life, is Orlando’s ode to decorating with humor and lightness. Every page has some sort of doodle or funny bit that makes you realize that design can be a heck of a lot of fun. From his dedication (“For my boyfriend. Just kidding. I don’t have one.”) to his tips for throwing “a major rager,” Orlando brings his trademark wit and hilarious voice to a wide range of design ideas, tips and concepts. He breaks them all down with a sense of airiness, but not without touching on topics that are meaningful. I particularly love the section (on page 122-123) about the “crisis of masculinity,” where he ponders why so many of us, “feel comforted by fixating on the differences between men and women.” This is such a deep topic to touch on and Orlando does it with such deftness and with a huge dose of funny. And a little nod to gay culture terminology, which I love.

While I love the gorgeous interior photos (his pink bedroom will forever be my favorite) and am grateful that this book has tons of them, what I love most about this book is Orlando. From the first moment we got to feature one of his projects here (his striped floors — almost 10 years ago!) to his latest Instagram story videos, his voice is one I’m so grateful we have in the design community. He’s always keeping things honest, fun, and lighthearted — but also genuine. So I’m so happy to close out the week by celebrating his new book. I hope you’ll all check it out online and check out more of Orlando’s voice and talent here and here. Congrats, Orlando! We’re so happy for you! xo, Grace

More great reads from around the web continue below: 

Color Fun: I love all the color in this creative director’s home in Brooklyn.

Fluttery: I totally want this top. Would I ever wear it? Not sure. But it looks FUUUUN.

Polka Power: I love the perforated polka-dot exterior on this Australian home at Design Files. The interior is just as awesome.

On the couch: Man Repeller did a great piece on the best advice women got from their therapists. “Thanking your fear and doubt for its concern really helps me. I find realizing that anxiety can come from a good place, like love, really reassuring.”

Copper Crush: This sink and this shiny copper bowl at Remodelista are calling my name.

Comparison game: Man Repeller also did a very wise piece on how to quit playing the comparison game. Which is always a good thing to reflect on at every point in our careers. “When you write down your critical inner thoughts and start to unpack them, it’s easier to tell when they’re distorted.”

Callout Culture: This powerful episode of the podcast Invisibilia stopped me in my tracks and made me really think about how I talk, react, and process feelings online. It’s a really great read for anyone who finds themselves judging online (I know I find myself doing that too often).



from Design*Sponge http://www.designsponge.com/2018/04/get-it-together-with-orlando-soria-best-of-the-web.html

from Home Improvment http://notelocreesnitu.tumblr.com/post/173130149274

No comments:

Post a Comment