Monday 16 April 2018

A Bohemian Apartment In New Orleans Makes Pattern Play Look Seamless

Liz Kamarul on Design*Sponge

Liz Kamarul on Design*Sponge

As someone that has moved, crisscross style, around the United States, I understand the personal growth and adventure that moving to a new location can bring. After college in Florida, I moved to Boston, then Seattle, San Francisco, Memphis, New York, back to my home state of Mississippi, then Los Angeles — only to eventually settle back in Mississippi. Every time I moved somewhere new, I would set up a plan to explore as much of the area as possible, never sure how long I’d be staying. I worked odd jobs, usually as a nanny, just to have the experience of living in different places. I never wanted to look back with regret that I missed out on something.

Liz Kamarul, a stylist and designer, along with her husband Tim, a graphic designer and graffiti artist, have had a similar journey. Based in Portland, OR for years, they decided to sell off everything they owned, hopped into an RV and traveled the country for six months straight, with their two dogs. “We love starting our lives over and over again. It feels like it challenges us to grow creatively and personally,” Liz shares. It was through those RV travels that the couple visited New Orleans, LA for the first time and fell in love with the city, bringing the road trip to a halt. Six months in and they are embracing their new lives in one of the most vibrant cities in the country.

True to most New Orleans homes, they live in a two-story, shotgun-style quadplex, sharing a front porch with their neighbors, often spending evenings out there talking until the sun goes down. Liz tells us, “We chose this home because it had so much character and the neighborhood is beautiful and very walkable to the rest of the city.” New Orleans is one of those cities where the beauty and character lies in the patina, antiquated architecture, and the cobblestone roads. It’s pieced together, yet it all works seamlessly. Liz and Tim have welcomed this about their new city and have brought that style into their home. “I think living in New Orleans has confirmed that I love color and quirkiness because that’s what New Orleans is all about,” Liz says. “Our daily afternoon walks are full of so much character, that it inspires me to keep things interesting inside our home, too.”

Mixing so much pattern and texture into a home that is three-fourths thrifted can’t be easy, yet Liz’s eye for design shows us that it’s possible with this piece of advice, “Only purchase items that you truly love and can’t live without. I often let the items I find dictate how it will turn out, so it’s always a surprise and always evolving.” This home tour only makes me love the style of New Orleans even more. Enjoy! —Erin

Photography by Liz Kamarul / @liz_kamarul 

Photo above: “This is our main living area. I’m often asked about our sofa… I got it at a staging consultation. The guy was just giving it away! I had the seat cushions reupholstered and added the wood panels on the side,” Liz shares. 



from Design*Sponge http://www.designsponge.com/2018/04/a-bohemian-apartment-in-new-orleans-makes-pattern-play-look-seamless.html

from Home Improvment http://notelocreesnitu.tumblr.com/post/172995192769

No comments:

Post a Comment